The cadet corps, originally named the Winnipeg Highland Cadet Corps, was formed on April 17th 1913 by members of Winnipeg’s Scottish community and headed by W.G. Bell. LCol Bell then a Major in the Cameron Highlanders of Canada was the cadet corps first Commanding Officer.
The cadets follow many of the regimental dress and traditions of the Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada and of the affiliated British Highlanders.
The Colonel-In-Chief is a honourary title given to a member of the Royal Family to denote them as a patron of the regiment. The present Colonel-In-Chief is HRH Prince Phillip, Duke of Edinburgh. The Colonel-In-Chief visited the Regiment HQ and Cadet Corps for the first time in October of 2002 where he was presented with a miniature of the Colours and a regimental coin. His predecessors were Their Majesties, King George V and King George VI.
The flags carried by infantry regiments on parade and in the past into battle are more properly referred to as Colour. There are two distinct Colours, the first being the Queen’s Colour and the second being the Regimental Colour. The Queen’s Colour is a Union Jack bearing the Regiments name and in the past the regiments number. The regimental Colour for the Cameron’s is a Royal Blue standard bearing the Regimental crest and battle honours. In 1914 the cadet corps was presented with its own stand of Colours, one of the few cadet corps in Canada to have Colours. These were later retired and are now on display in the Regimental Chapel. The corps today parades the Canadian National flag and the Army Cadet Banner. At the corps’ 95th Annual Ceremonial Review in 2008 the Cameron cadets were presented with the Freedom of the City of Winnipeg and a new corps banner.
The cadets wear the Cameron of Erracht tartan of the old Imperial Queen’s Own Highlanders who have since been amalgamated with other Scottish Regiments. It is believed that the tartan was specifically designed for the regiment by the mother or grandmother of Alan Cameron, the founder of the regiment. Traditionally present or past members of the regimental family were the only ones entitled to wear the tartan, though it can be seen today worn by people with no attachment to the regiment. The pipers of the regiment are also entitled to wear the Royal Stewart tartan in recognition of being the Queen’s Own regiment, however for fiscal reasons this has never been done.
The original cap badge of the cadet corps was a maple leaf superimposed on the St. Andrew’s cross, surrounded by maple leafs on the right and thistles on the left surmounted by a King’s crown. This was replaced with the present cap badge in 1930, which depicts St. Andrew with cross surrounded by thistles and across the bottom the title “Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada”.
The Royal blue hackle worn on the regimental headdress was adopted in 1939 to commemorate the distinction of being the last Highland regiment to wear the kilt into battle. The pipers of the regiment when in full dress wear a Golden Eagle feather instead of the blue hackle.
The collar dogs worn by the regiment as well as senior cadets and bandsmen on the CF tunic was adopted from the Imperial Camerons and is the Royal badge of Scotland. The collar dog depicts the thistle of Scotland surmounted with the Queen’s crown.
The regimental motto or war cry of the Cameron Highlanders is the Gaelic word ULLAMH, which means Ready. It signifies the regiment’s commitment to meet all tasks and challenges.
British Pattern 1897 Infantry Officer sword and scabbard. The hilt has a nickel plated three quarter 'scroll' pattern pierced sheet steel guard with the GVR royal cypher. The grip is wire bound black fish-skin. The straight blade is etched half way on both sides with a foliage design having the royal coat of arms on the centre right and the royal cypher of George V on the centre left. There is a single fuller on each side for half of the length. The ricasso is etched with the interlocking triangle symbol on the right with By Warrant in a scroll banner and the Prince of Wales three feathers over a scroll with By Appointment and HENRY WILKINSON PALL MALL LONDON on the left. A buff leather washer is attached to the blade where it meets the hilt and the back edge has an arrow within a D 10/13. The nickel plated steel scabbard has two loose suspension rings on bands at 2.5 and 10.5 inches from the throat.
A swagger stick is a short stick or riding crop usually carried by a uniformed person as a symbol of authority. A swagger stick is shorter than a staff or cane, and is usually made from rattan or malacca.
The Royal Regiment of Artillery of the British Army was the originator of the Pace Stick. It was used by gunners in the early 16th Century to measure and to ensure correct distances between field guns on the battle field, thus ensuring the appropriate effective fire to the beaten zone of each gun.
A similar pace stick is the drill cane or regimental stick. This is a shorter cane, usually fitted on one end by a shell casing and on the other by the forward part of a shell, complete with the bullet; these are often chromed, or left in their natural brass, but highly polished. In the Canadian Forces, and Australian Army, the round usually used is a .50 calibre round. They are carried on parade solely as an indicator of rank and authority by senior non-commissioned officers and warrant officers, and their use is generally governed (or restricted altogether) by the sergeant-major.
The sash was originally a very wide length of cloth draped over the shoulder and tied at the bottom. These sashes where used to assist in carry the wounded and dead from the battlefield. Inevitably the sashes would become blood stained so it was decided that they would be intentionally coloured red so as to ‘hide’ the blood.
Corps Information >